Perak handed a beating in AFC Champions League playoff

Follow by Email

foto – AFC


Perak’s hopes of making the AFC Champions League went up in smoke at the Ulsan Munsu Football Stadium with a 5-1 beating at the hands of Korea’s Ulsan Hyundai on Tuesday.

After knocking out Hong Kong’s Kitchee FC in their first playoff the Malaysia Cup champions never got going against the Korean club after conceding an own in the 23rd minute.

Perak defender Amirul Azhan Aznan turned the ball into his own net while attempting to cut off a Kim Tae-hwan cross. The early deficit did not deter Bos Gauros who did their best to get back into the game but could not get the much-needed equalizer.

Gilmar came close but he could not control the ball and skied it with only goalkeeper Oh Seung-hoon to beat.

The second half was a nightmare for Perak custodian Hafizul Hakim Khairul Nizam Jothy. Hafizul was beaten twice by American international Mix Diskerud in a space of three minutes.

The American outwitted his markers in the 56th minute before hitting the back of the net. Two minutes later it was 3-0 for the Korean outfit – thanks to delightful curling shot past Hafizul.

Lee Dong-gyeong, who came off the bench to replace Diskerud, was on target four minutes later in the 70th minute with the fourth goal for Ulsan before Junior Negrao fired the fifth on 87 minutes.

For all their hard work Perak did manage to find the net and this came in the last minute when left back Nazirul Naim took off on a solo run and beat Seung-hoon from an acute angle.

Meanwhile, five-time Malaysian Super League champions Johor Darul Takzim will be Malaysia’s sole flag bearer in the AFC Champions League in the group stage with the exit of Perak.

In the group stage (East Zone) the Southern Tigers will battle in Group E and have defending champions, Kashima Antlers (Japan), Gyeongnam FC (Korea), and China’s Shandong Luneng,

Only the top two teams in the group will make through the next round. RIZAL ABDULLAH

Please follow and like us: