No Chong Wei at Malaysia Open

Follow by Email
Facebook
Google+
http://www.sports247.my/v1/2019/03/no-chong-wei-malaysia-open">
Twitter
Pinterest
Former World No 1 Datuk Wira Lee Chong Wei has been told to skip next month’s Malaysia Open on medical grounds.
 
The doctors have advised the 36-year-old Malaysian legend “not to play” competitive badminton just yet after his follow-up check-up in Taipei for his nose cancer.
 
Chong Wei, who is also the 100PLUS Ambassador, confirmed his withdrawal from the Malaysian Open where he was drawn to face India’s former World No 1 K. Srikanth in the first round.
 
He won the Malaysia Open for a record 12-time last year – defeating current No 1 and reigning world champion Kento Momota of Japan in the final.
 
In a statement issued by the Badminton Association of Malaysia on Tuesday, “Chong Wei has been given a clean bill of health and is progressing well” but has been advised, “not to put his body under undue stress”.
 
Chong Wei was earlier scheduled to return to competitive badminton and play in the All-England Championships in Birmingham earlier this month, but for medical reasons, was told to stay off a bit longer.
 
The Malaysian Open was his next target to give his home fans something to cheer but last week BAM president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria gave broad hints that Chong Wei may not be able to play in the Malaysia Open.
 
Chong Wei’s last competitive match was at last year’s Indonesia Open where he reached the semi-finals before bowing out to Momota. – BY RIZAL ABDULLAH
Please follow and like us:
0