# Unseeded Chong Wei beats World No 1 for the second time in a week

# Malaysian to meet home favourite Angus Ng in semis

# End of the road for V Shem-Wee Kiong in men’s doubles


Datuk Lee Chong Wei celebrated his rise to No 6 in world rankings with another inspiring performance to beat World No 1 and top seed Chen Long for the second time in a week with a come-from-behind win 13-21, 21-19, 21-13 win in the quarter-finals of the USD350,000 Yonex Sunrise Hong Open on Friday.

The win in 85 minutes came in the wake of his straight sets 21-15, 21-11 win over the reigning world champion in the final of the Thaihot China Open in Fuzhou City last Sunday. The win in Hong Kong was Chong Wei’s 11th over the Chinese ace in 23 meetings.

The 33-year-old Malaysian will meet home favourite Angus Ng Ka Long in the semi-finals on Saturday. The 21-year-old Angus Ng continued his brilliant run at home with another seeded scalp when he packed off Taiwan’s Chou Tien Chen (seeded 5th) 21-17, 15-21, 21-15 win.

Angus Ng had knocked out five-time world champion and reigning Olympic champion, third seed Lin Dan in straight sets in the second round.

This is the second time Chong Wei and Angus Ng will cross paths this year with the Malaysian 2-0 up in the head to head count. The former World No 1 beat Angus Ng 21-10, 21-15 in the China Open in the first round.

His first victory was in June this year when he beat the Hong Kong youngster 21-17, 21-13 in the Canada Open Grand Prix Gold final.

Although Chong Wei lost the first set, it was another confident performance against Chen Long but he took time to settle down as the Chinese led 3-0, 5-2 and 10-4 before before taking the set 21-13 in 24 minutes.

In the second it was Chong Wei who took the initiative and moved to 6-1 but allowed his opponent to make a comeback before taking the break at 11-10. It was Chong Wei at 16-21 but again Chen Long narrowed the gap before the Malaysian tightened his game to force a rubber with a 21-19 win.

The decider was a point for point battle form 3-3, 5-5, 9-9, 10-10 before Chong Wei took the breather at 11-10. Chong Wei took six straight points to move to 18-13 and wrapped up the set and match at 21-13.

The tournament also saw Indonesian youngster Ginting Anthony, who had to come through the qualifying rounds, reach the semi-finals with a 21-14, 21-14 win over Japan’s Kazuma Sakai.

Malaysia’s campaign in the men’s doubles came to an end when top men’s doubles pair Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong lost 15-21,12-21 to China Open runners-up Chai Biao-Hong Wei in 34 minutes.

The Chinese pair had knocked out Malaysia’s independent pair Koo Kien Kiat-Tan Boon Heong in the second round with a 21-17, 21-23, 21-16 win.





Datuk Lee Chong Wei (Mas) beat Chen Long (Chn) 13-21, 21-19, 21-13

Tian Houwei (Chn) beat Wang Zhengming (Chn) 21-15, 21-11

Angus Ng Ka Long (Hkg) beat Chou Tien Chen (Tpe) 21-17, 15-21, 21-15

Ginting Anthony (Ina) beat Kazuma Sakai (Jpn) 21-14, 21-14



Chai Biao-Hong Wei (Chn) beat Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong (Mas) 21-15, 21-12




Wang Yihan (Chn) beat Sung Ji-hyun (Kor) 21-14, 21-17

Carolina Marin (Spn) beat Porntip Buranaprasertsuk (Tha) 21-12, 21-13

Nozomi Okuhara (Jpn) beat Tai Tzu Ying (Tpe) 21-13, 21-13

Ratchanok Intanon (Tha) beat Sayaka Sato (Jpn) 21-19, 21-11

- Advertisement -