A late strike from Huynh Nhu gave Vietnam a hard fought 3-2 win over Myanmar in a top billing clash in Group B of the AFF Women’s Championship here at the Thong Nhat Stadium. 

With several thousands cheering the team on from the stand, Vietnam started strongly as they pressed Myanmar hard into their own half.

And in the sixth minute, a through pass from Nguyen Thi Minh Nguyet was picked up by Do Thi Yen, who ran past two Myanmar defenders before slotting under keeper Mya Phu Ngon.

Undeterred, Myanmar composed their frontline and it did not take them long to grab the equalizer in the 13th minute when off a defensive mistake, Khin Moe Wai stabbed home from close range.

Myanmar proved again that they are deadly from the set-pieces when Naw Arlo Wer Phaw punished yet another poor clearance from the Vietnam backline to give them the lead for the first time in the match.

At the half hour mark, Vietnam made sure that both teams ended the first half on equal terms from Nguyen Thi Minh Nguyet fired in a freekick.

The second half saw Vietnam changing the gameplan somewhat as they waited for Myanmar to push forward.

And Myanmar should have taken the match outright but despite being presented with several chances on a trot, Win Theingi Tun and May Thu Kyaw just failed to make it count.

And that would proved costly in the end, when Huynh Nhu made good a 77th minute cross from Bui Thuy An to push the crowd to their feet.

IN THE MEANTIME, a new-look Philippines squad proved to be too much for Malaysia when they steamrolled past the latter with a comprehensive 3-0 beating in an earlier Group B tie. 

While the Malaysians went into the match confident that they could yet do better than what had they shown in previous outings, their performance on the field however left a lot to be desired.

They just lacked direction and seem to take the game as nothing more than a Sunday workout.

With Dadree Rofinus the only highlight at the start of the match with a solo effort, it was the Philippines who went ahead in the 24th minute when a lob into the heart of the Malaysian defence allowed striker Jesse Anne Shugg to flick it past the oncoming Asma Junaidi.

The game then went into a doldrums all the way into the second half before Asma’s goal was breached again in the 72nd minute when Shugg turned provider for substitute Joanna Houplin to nail the second goal.

And three minutes later, it was goal no.3 for the Philippines with Shugg once again laying it up for Houplin to finish.


RESULT – 2 May 2015

Malaysia 0 Philippines 3

Vietnam 3 Myanmar 2

- Advertisement -