Fall of the Malaysia Cup champions

Follow by Email
Pahang hammered defending Malaysia Cup champions Perak 3-0 in a Group C match at the Darul Makmur Stadium in Kuantan on Thursday for their second successive win on a night when newly crowned FA Cup champions Kedah slumped to a shock 2-0 defeat to Terengganu.
Kedah’s defeat at the Darulaman Stadium in Alor Setar was all the more hurting when the Turtles carved out the win with only 10 players in the second-half after first-choice goalkeeper Ilham Amirullah Razali was red-carded for a blatant foul on Kedah’s Farhan Roslan outside the penalty box just before the halftime break.
Despite the numerical disadvantage, The Turtles turned on the heat on the Red Eagles with replacement goalkeeper Wan Azraie Wan Teh turning in a sterling performance between the posts as stopped all that was thrown at him.
Ivory Coast striker Kipre Tchetche hit a brace for Terengganu. His first came in the 66th minute when he headed home a delightful freekick from skipper Lee Tuck. Tchetche was on target again in the 87th minute on a frustrating night for Kedah.
The win took Terengganu to the top of the group with six points with Kedah and PKNS on three points each, separated by goal difference.
For Pahang, the big win over Perak was sweet revenge for their 4-3 defeat on aggregate in the two-leg FA Cup semi-finals following a 3-0 defeat in the return-leg in Ipoh. Pahang had won the FA Cup first-leg in Kuantan by a 3-1 margin.
For Perak goalkeeper Hafizul Hakim Khairul Nizam Jothy it was another nightmare outing for him in Kuantan. He conceded the first goal when Frenchman Herold Goulon plundered a header off an assist by Nor Azam Azih in the 40th minute.       
Hafizul had to pick up the ball from the back of his net again in the 68th minute when Indonesian striker Saddil Ramdani scored the second. Lazarus Kaimbi completed the rout for Pahang’ with the third goal after 82 minutes.
Pahang leads Group C with maximum points from two wins while Perak and Penang have three points while Sabah is at the bottom without a point after two defeats.
In Group B visitors PKNP (Perak SEDC) inflicted a 2-0 defeat on UiTM FC at the UiTM Stadium in Shah Alam for their first win in the group. Six-time Malaysian Super League champions Johor Darul Takzim lead the group with six points from two wins while PKNP (3-2) moved into second place with three points – ahead of Petaling Jaya City FC (4-5) on goal difference.
PKNP scorers were the Philippines international Amani Aguinaldo (45th) and Brazilian striker Pedro Victor (85th). – BY RIZAL ABDULLAH
Please follow and like us: