Malaysia's Muhammad Shamsul lining up a shot in the Sultan of Johor Cup match at the Taman Daya Stadium, Johor Baru. Photo Credit - ABDUL RAHMAN EMBONG / The Star
Malaysia’s Muhammad Shamsul lining up a shot in the Sultan of Johor Cup match at the Taman Daya Stadium, Johor Baru. Photo Credit – ABDUL RAHMAN EMBONG / The Star

# Great Britain stun defending champions India 4-3
# Australia whack Pakistan 6-2

Malaysia gave a much improved performance to share points with Argentina with a 2-2 draw in their second match in the 5th edition of the Sultan of Johor Cup Under-21 Invitational International hockey tournament at the Taman Daya Hockey Stadium in Johor Bahru on Monday.

It was a match Malaysia could have won if not for their lapse of concentration in the last 10 minutes of play. And it was the same defensive lapses in the last 10 minutes play which led to Malaysia’s 4-2 defeat to Great Britain in their opening match on Sunday.

Still coach A. Arul Selvaraj was happy with the point earned against Argentina but the heartache of surrendering the lead twice was rather disappointing.

Arul also revealed that the team meeting which lasted until 2.30am on Monday after the defeat to Great Britain had an effect the team.

“The players decided to play hockey against Argentina. They (players) played for the country and gave what was demanded of them,” said Arul at the post match press conference after the match against Argentina.

“The players were reminded that a lot of money is spent on the team to produce what is demanded from them. The point earned against Argentina would stand in good stead for the next match which is against Australia (on Thursday).”

Malaysia took only six minutes to take the lead from their third penalty corner which saw senior international Shahril Saabah flick high into the left corner. Argentina drew level on 26 minutes through Tomas Domene – also from a penalty corner.

Shahril once again gave Malaysia the lead and this came in the 32nd minute from another penalty corner set-piece but Tomas matched Shahril’s brace with his second on 61 minutes from a penalty corner.

Earlier defending champions India squandered a 3-1 lead to lose 4-3 to Great Britain. It was sweet revenge for Britain who lost 2-1 to India in last year’s final.
Britain had also beaten India in the round robin stage – winning 2-0.

After their 5-1 win over Pakistan in their first match on Sunday, showed their class to race to a 3-1 lead after 29 minutes. Britain grabbed a sixth minute lead through a field goal by James Simpson.

However, India hot back to make it 1-1 through a Sumit Kumar field goal in the 17th minute and the adrenaline was flowing. Sumit got his second in the 26th minute before Manpreet Singh got the third (29th).

Then came Britain’s deadly penalty corner excutioner – skipper Luke Taylor, who scored a hat-trick against Malaysia – getting the first in the 30th minute.

Another penalty corner goal by Jack Clee (47th) made it 3-3 before Taylor rounded up the score with his second in the 68th minute.

In the first match of the day Australia hammered Pakistan 6-2 – Pakistan’s second big defeat in as many days.


RESULTS (Oct 12)
Malaysia 2 Argentina 2
India 3 Great Britain 4
Australia 6 Pakistan 2

- Advertisement -