Qatar Football Association on Saturday backed its vice president Saoud Al-Mohannadi and took aim at FIFA after the governing body called for a two-and-a-half-year ban against the senior official.
On Friday, FIFA’s ethics commission recommended the ban, stating that Mohannadi had refused to cooperate with an inquiry.
Although FIFA did not say what was the subject of the inquiry, it is not connected with the 2022 World Cup, which Qatar will host.
“Mr Al-Mohannadi has not yet seen the Investigatory chamber’s report, so he is not able to comment on its substance,” said the QFA in an official statement posted on its website.
“However, he as well as the QFA are both confident that a full and fair review of the matter will confirm that he has cooperated extensively and candidly with the Ethics Committee and that any charges against him are without legitimate basis.”
The QFA also criticised FIFA for making the decision of the ethics committee public.
“The QFA expresses its strong disappointment for the Media Release… which was issued without informing Mr. Al-Mohannadi that even the investigation proceedings against him have been concluded,” it said.
In addition, the QFA said it continued to back Mohannadi’s candidacy for the FIFA council.
Elections will take place next month for the two Asian spots on FIFA’s ruling council.
FIFA had previously ruled he was eligible to stand as a candidate.
FIFA has also recommended that the Qatari official be fined 20,000 Swiss francs ($20,400, 18,600 euros).
The recommendation by the ethics commission’s investigators will be decided by the commission’s investigatory chamber. – Agence France-Presse