# Elephants trample Lions XII 4-1 in Kuantan

# JDT struggle to a 1-1 draw against Felda United in Selayang

# Selangor edge Sarawak 2-1 in Kuching

# PKNS FC snatch a 1-1 draw against Kedah in Alor Setar


Defending champions Pahang were on fire at the Darul Makmur Stadium in Kuantan with a thumping 4-1 win in the first-leg Malaysia Cup quarter-final match on Tuesday while favourites Johor Darul Takzim (JDT) snatched an injury time equaliser for a 1-1 draw against Felda United at the Selayang Stadium.

Elsewhere PKNS FC came back from a goal down to share the spoils in a 1-1 draw against Kedah at the Darulaman Stadium in Setar while Selangor edged Sarawak 2-1 at the State Stadium in Kuching.

With the big win by Pahang the show is virtually over for the Singapore outfit, the reigning FA Cup champions. But the Elephants cannot ride easy on the three-goal cushion for this Saturday’s return-leg at the Jalan Besar Stadium.

Hafiz Kamal opened the floodgates for Pahang as early as the ninth minute via a freekick that that saw the ball criss-cross inside the crowded six-yard box before going in.

However, Pahang had to wait till the 55th minute in the second-half to add to their tally and it came through the courtesy of Argentine hitman Matias Conti – always a Malaysia Cup hero for the team.

Dickson Nwakaem put Pahang in the driving seat with the third on the hour mark before R. Gopinathan drove home the final nail in the Lions’ coffin with goal No 4 seven minutes later.

Safuwan Baharudin headed home a crucial away goal for the Lions in injury time.

Felda coach Irfan Bakti was left a disappointed man when his Fighters conceded a goal deep into injury time after Thiago Augusto gave the homesters the lead after seven minutes.

Christie Jayaseelan broke on the right with his speed then cut JDT defender S. Kunanlan inside out before crossing into the box for Augusto to put the finishing touches.

JDT looked jaded on the wet and slippery pitch and it was only when coach Mario Gomez brought on S. Chanturu and Luciano Figueroa in the second half that brought the spark in the AFC Cup champions.

But the player who scored against Sarawak in the 1-1 draw in a group match at the Larkin Stadium last Saturday once again turned hero for the Southern Tigers – whipping in a stinging right footed shot inside the near post off a cross from Amri Yahyah in the third minute off added time.

“We conceded the goal due to our lapse of concentration at the crucial moments. It will be tough for us at Larkin but there is still another battle to be won,” said Irfan after the match.

JDT coach Marfio Gomez was pleased with the result and said: “We did not play well in the first 15 or 20 minutes but once we settled we had our chances which we failed to convert.

“The important thing is that we did not lose the match,” said Gomez.

PKNS, who have not lost to Kedah this season, were a goal down when Syazwan Zainon whipped in an unstoppable shot in the 75th minute and the Red Eagles looked good for their first win over their rivals.

However, Timor Leste striker Pedro Henrique broke the hearts of the 30,000 home supporters when he fired home bullet in the 89th minute and give his team the all-important away goal for the return-leg at Selayang.

Selangor came off winners through goals by Hazwan Bakri in the 36th minute and Afiq Azmi’s injury time winner after Billy Mehmet had equalised for the Crocs in the 60th minute.



FELDA UNITED     1       JDT       1

SARAWAK     1      SELANGOR     2

KEDAH     1       PKNS FC    1

PAHANG    4      LIONS XII   1

- Advertisement -