‘I did not ask for the sky’ – Cheng Hoe on his new two-year contract

Follow by Email
Facebook
Google+
http://www.sports247.my/v1/2019/01/not-ask-sky-cheng-hoe-new-two-year-contract-national-football-coach">
Twitter
Pinterest

Tan Cheng Hoe, who guided Malaysia to the runners-up finish in the AFF Suzuki Cup last year has been given a new two-year contract as the national football coach by the FA of Malaysia (FAM).

The 51-year-old flew in from Penang on Tuesday was “delighted” with the new contract which will allow him to work on his plans for Malaysia’s campaign in the 2020 AFF Suzuki Cup, 2022 World Cup and the 2023 Asia Cup.

In last year’s AFF Suzuki Cup the former international achieved his KPI (performance index) which was his KPI as the national football coach – a post he took over in December 2017 from Nelo Vingada after the Portuguese quit his job.

On his new two-year contract, Cheng Hoe said: “I did not ask for the sky. Since I have been given a new contract I am sure both parties must be happy.

“For me it has taken a burden off my shoulders and now I can start work on my plans to take Malaysian football to new heights.

“The core of the national team will be retained with some changes here and there. We must strive to gain further recognition as a football power in this region and we need to play against higher ranked opponents to move up the rankings list.”

Malaysia’s latest FIFA ranking is 167 – an improvement from the previous 170 during the AFF Suzuki Cup.

Cheng Hoe’s first assignment under his new contract will be in March during the FIFA international period when Malaysia plays friendly matches against stronger teams.

FAM deputy president Datuk Yusoff Mahadi said it was a “unanimous” decision by the national team committee to give Cheng Hoe another stay as the national football coach. – BY RIZAL ABDULLAH 

Please follow and like us:
0