Less than a year after Miguel Angel Jiménez’s historic victory at the Hong Kong Open, the US$1.3 million championship will return to the Asian Tour schedule and The European Tour International Schedule from October 16-19, 2014.
Hong Kong Golf Club will host the 56th edition of the tournament in Fanling, where Jiménez defeated Welshman Stuart Manley and Thailand’s Prom Meesawat in a play-off last December to win the title for a fourth time and break his own record as The European Tour’s oldest champion, aged 49 years and 337 days.
Once again the Hong Kong Open will be tri-sanctioned between the Asian and European Tours, as well as the Hong Kong Golf Association.
Asian Tour Chairman Kyi Hla Han said: “The Hong Kong Open has been a mainstay on the Asian Tour Schedule over the years, and fans can once again expect to see the best golfers from Asia competing against their European counterparts.
“As the Asian Tour season builds to a climax, the Hong Kong Open will play an important role in the makeup of the Order of Merit and will be another thrilling week for all the fans in attendance. The Hong Kong Open is no doubt one of the most prestigious events in the region and it holds the honour of being the only national championship in Asia to be held at the same golf club since its inauguration in 1959.”
As the penultimate full-field tournament of The 2014 European Tour season before the Final Series, the Hong Kong Open will play a key role in determining the final makeup of The Race to Dubai.
Keith Waters, Chief Operating Officer of The European Tour, said: “We are delighted that the Hong Kong Open will return to the schedule later this year, and we are looking forward to heading back to Hong Kong Golf Club, where the tournament has been held for over half a century.
“The Hong Kong Open has a long, rich history, and since it became part of The European Tour International Schedule in the 2002 season, it has given us some wonderful moments, none more so than Miguel’s record-breaking victory last year, his fourth in Hong Kong.
“We are grateful for the co-operation between The European and Asian Tours, the Hong Kong Golf Association and Hong Kong Golf Club and our co-sponsors and partners, which has ensured that this great tournament will continue.”
William Chung, President of the Hong Kong Golf Association said: “The Hong Kong Open has always been an important opportunity for our local golfers to test their game against the best players in the world and for spectators from Hong Kong and across the globe to watch world-class golf in Hong Kong.”
Keith Williams, Hong Kong Golf Club General Manager, said: “As one of only two international sporting events to have been held in the region for more than 50 years, alongside the Grand Prix Macau, we are looking forward to another thrilling instalment of the Hong Kong Open.
“Hong Kong Golf Club has hosted the event for the past 55 years, and the course has been constantly upgraded and improved to ensure it tests the best players in the game year after year. The Hong Kong Open has made history the past two seasons, thanks to the wins of Miguel Angel Jiménez, and the 56th edition will once again help to enhance the sporting heritage and prestige of the region.”
The Hong Kong Open has a rich history and tradition, with a roll of honour that includes Major Champions Seve Ballesteros, Bernhard Langer, Greg Norman, Peter Thomson, Tom Watson and Ian Woosnam, while Asian greats Lu Liang-huan, Chen Tze-ming, Lin Wen-tang and Kang Wook-soon have also tasted victory in Fanling.
The Hong Kong Open joined the Asian Tour Schedule in 2000 before being co-sanctioned the following year with The European Tour as part of its 2002 Schedule.
About the Hong Kong Open
The Hong Kong Open is Hong Kong’s oldest professional sporting event. Beginning in 1959, the Hong Kong Open became part of The European Tour International Schedule in the 2002 season and has a rich history of winners including ten different Major Champions who have amassed 27 Major titles between them.