Thailand proved their superiority with an amazing 6-0 win over Vietnam in the final of the AFF Under-19 Championship at the National Sports Complex Stadium tonight.
The Thais, after taking a one-goal lead at the break, took time before they found their rhythm and exploded with five more goals. 

Tonight’s result, which matches the biggest scoreline in the tournament, was by no means a true reflection of the match itself.

The Vietnam players fought to the very end, but as the many chances they had all failed to hit its mark, the players spirits were clearly crushed.

The Thai players took advantage and began their plunder of goals. 

“The players played to instruction and they were patient against a determined and well composed Vietnam team,” said Thai coach Anuruck Srikerd afterwards. “But the goal just before the break was the turning point. It demoralised our opponents and we could take advantage after that.”

Meanwhile, in an earlier match, Laos finished third when they defeated Malaysia in a penalty shootout.

In the first half, Thailand had a freekick some five metres from the top of the box. But skipper Sansern ballooned the shot over the crossbar. Vietnam took charge from then on and did most of the attacking.

But they were unable to break through the solid Thai defence. 

The players form both sides were not as quick as they had been in the previous games but it could be due to fatigue after more than 10 days of competition. 

Among those affected were speedy striker Lam Thuan whom Vietnam coach Hoang Anh Tuan replaced in the 34th minute with Nguyen Tien Linh.

A few minutes later, Thai coach Anuruck Srikerd knew he needed more bite in atack and brought on skillful striker Jakkit Wachpirom.

Jakkit almost immediately made a difference when he conected a deep cross from Anon Amornlertsak. He was however ruled offside. Jakkit’s replacement added the intended punch to the attack. 

In the last minute of the first half, Skipper Worachit Kanitsribumphen scored in the last minute of the first half when his cracker took a deflection and swung into goal. 

Just before the hour mark, Suksan Mungpao placed his shot in the far corner, just beyond the reach of custodian Nguyen Thanh Tuan.

The Vietnam players were not deterred by the goals and continued to fight back with Pham Trang Hoa and semifinals hattrick hero Ha Duc Minh trying to make their way through.

There was more celebration in the 69th minute as Ritthidet Phensawat made it 3-0. Still the Vietnamese did not stop fighting but their miss in the 80th minute was a testament of their luckless night.

Trong Hoa raced in down the right amd whipped is shot which hit the crossbar and bounce out. Nguyen Wuang Hai rused is for the rebound and managed to head it only for the ball to hit the post.

There was no stopping the Thais after that as Worachit added a second while the nippy Anon Amornlertsak hammered in two more to seal the final score at 6-0.



- Advertisement -