SHORTLIVED: Sime Darby players celebrate Failee's first minute goal before Rangel's two goals gave Selangor a 2-1 win. Picture by MOHD ADIB HAKIM/
SHORTLIVED: Sime Darby players celebrate Failee’s first minute goal before Rangel’s (below) two goals gave Selangor a 2-1 win. Picture by MOHD ADIB HAKIM/

SELANGOR came from a goal down to defeat Sime Darby 2-1 in the Super League at the Selayang Stadium today.

The home side got off to a dream start when Farderin Kadir’s low cross was slotted in from close range by Mohd Failee Muhd Ghazli in the very first minute.

The Red Giants who beat Pahang 1-0 in their last Super League match, were clearly stunned by the early assault, but slowly regained composure.

K. Gurusamy almost levelled the score in the 19th minute, but his shot from outside the box only rattled the right post.

Paulo Rangel

Selangor’s composed passing and control finally bore fruit five minutes from the interval, when Brazilian Paulo Rangel wrong-footed Sime Darby’s goalkeeper Kamarul Effandi Abdul Rahim after defender Mohd Fairuz Abdul Aziz failed to clear a harmless cross.

The second half started with the visitors looking sharper up front, as Sime Darby struggled to find their footing.

Australian Pantelidis Stilianos was on target for Selangor in the 49th minute, when he latched on to a Junior Aparecido freekick and headed the ball in but the defender’s goal was ruled out for offside.

The visitors kept the pressure on and were rewarded in the 84th minute, when Rangel once again rose high to head in his fifth Super League goal from four matches thanks to a brilliant cross from substitute Abdul Hadi Yahya.

Selangor coach Mehmet Durakovic said: “We were still sleeping in the first five minutes, and I told my players at halftime they have to concentrate a little bit more. We could have scored a few more goals but I’m very happy with how we played today. It’s a great pitch and we played good football. I’m very happy.”

For feedback, please email

- Advertisement -