First in achieving more than 10,000 runners signing up on launch day itself; receiving over 25,000 sign-ups within 48 hours; and finally, its fastest ever registration closing — in just 4 days.
The overwhelmingly positive response underscores the popularity of the Marathon, which allows runners to uniquely experience the city of Kuala Lumpur. It also bears testament to the fact that Malaysians are taking more than just an interest in healthy living and active lifestyles.
Rainer Biemans, Director of Dirigo Events Sdn. Bhd., Event Owner and Organiser of Standard Chartered KL Marathon, said, “It’s thrilling, humbling and encouraging all the same time. Having organised the Marathon for the last 6 years, we are proud to see its growthinto what it is today.Thank you to all runners and the Standard Chartered KL Marathon family of stakeholders, sponsors, partners and supporters without whom, this would not be possible. We look forward to seeing all 35,000 runners at the start line on Race Day.”
Mahendra Gursahani, Managing Director and CEO of Standard Chartered Bank Malaysia said, “We are very pleased that so many runners are so motivated to join the Standard Chartered KL Marathon. The Marathon has grown from strength to strength, and we are glad that it has become the event that runners from Malaysia and beyond, eagerly look forward to every year. As the country’s first and oldest bank established in 1875, Standard Chartered Bank Malaysia takes pride in contributing to the community and the sponsorship of the Marathon is a great example. It is the Bank’s way of encouraging the community to get involved in sports and adopt a healthier lifestyle.”
Even with the record-breaking participation and early close of registration, individuals can still bea part of the Standard Chartered KL Marathon 2015 by:
- Signing up for the Corporate Challenge – This 10 km team category is still available for registrations.
- Supporting the ‘Run For A Cause’ runners– Pick a charity that you would like to support, and encourage our “Run For A Cause” runners who have pledged their commitment to raise funds for their chosen beneficiaries.
- Be a volunteer– More than 1,500 volunteers are needed to help on Race Day and you can be one of them. Stay tuned for volunteer registration.
- Be a supporter– Cheer and support your friends and families during their race and add to the festivity of the event!
The local running scene is a fast rising industry — Standard Chartered KL Marathon has attracted more than 2,479 foreign nationalities from 83 countries and provides a strong sports tourism platform.Running has been growing in popularity in South-East Asia, out of more than 288 running events in the region; Malaysia has hosted 94 of them from 2015 to 2016.
Interesting facts and figures about the popularity of running in Malaysia:
- Marathon running has become a popular sporting trend in Malaysia with the growing number of running events taking place on the local running scene.
- To aspire healthy lifestyles and empowering Malaysians by helping them to achieve a work-life balance through a healthy body and mind.
- Running events are ever-evolving with runners empowering one another to practise healthy lifestyles and at the same time, contributing to positive and social growth through a number of community and health initiatives.
Witnessing three record-breaking in a week, Standard Chartered KL Marathon officially announces that public registrations are now closed. Runners should now focus on training right for the race and stay tuned to the next announcement on Standard Chartered KL Marathon’s running clinics.