# Selangor whip T-Team 3-0 in Kuala Terengganu

# Kedah hold Police to a scoreless draw in Malacca


By Rizal Abdullah

It will be a repeat Malaysia Cup final between 33-time champions Selangor and Kedah after the completion of the second-leg semi-finals on Saturday.

Selangor gave a classy performance at the Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah Stadium in Kuala Terengganu as the Red Giants tore T-Team to shreds for a 3-0 win and advance 5-1 on aggregate.

Kedah, 2-1 winners over Police in the first-leg in Alor Setar, rode in the final 2-1 on aggregate after the return-leg at the Hang Jebat Stadium in Malacca ended in a scoreless draw.

Selangor won the match against the Titans within the first 20 minutes with goals by R. Gopinathan and Nigerian Ugochukwu Ukah. Selangor’s Indonesian skipper Andik Vermansyah completed Selangor’s dominance with a solo effort just before the final whistle.

A mammoth crowd turned up at the Sultan Ismail Stadium but the home fans were left disappointed on a night when T-Team’s defence crumbled against the Red Giants’ onslaught right from the whistle.

The absence of suspended Mali defender Abdoulaye Malga had a telling effect in the T-Team backline and goalkeeper Ilham Amirullah Razak could not do much to stop the three goals that flew past him.

At the other end Selangor’s national custodian Khairul Azhan Khalid was in top form and stopped all shots taken at his goal and was named the Man of the Match.

Andik was at his best and he proved to be a thorn in the homeside. It was his cross on the right that led to Selangor’s first goal as Gopinathan put the finishing touches at the far post as the T-Team scrambled to react.

The third minute goal was what Selangor needed to boost their confidence as the homesters struggled to get their act together and “froze” in the biggie that gave T-Team a glimmer of hope after the first-leg.

When Ugo made it 2-0 on 20 minutes it was all over for the pretenders before Andik completed the rout and give Selangor of winning their 34th Malaysia Cup – the most sought after silverware in Malaysian football.

At the Hang Jebat Stadium it was tale of missed chances for the Red Eagles but the scoreless draw was enough for Tan Cheng Hoe’s team to keep their Cup Final date.




T-Team      0        Selangor       3

(Selangor advance 5-1 on aggregate)


Police         0        Kedah           0

(Kedah advance 2-1 on aggregate)

- Advertisement -