Two penalties from Mile Jedinak helped Australia to a 2-2 draw with Thailand at the Rajamangala Stadium in Bangkok on Tuesday though the AFC Asian Cup holders were made to sweat against the committed hosts.

The draw leaves Australia with nine points in Group B while the point marks Thailand’s first after four consecutive defeats.

Jedinak put the visitors ahead with an early penalty but a goal in each half from Teerasil Dangda had Thailand ahead just before the hour only for the Socceroos captain to earn a point for his team.

Both teams showed plenty of energy from the start. Australia almost took the lead in the first minute with Mathew Leckie sending a low shot into the arms of Kawin Thamsatchanan from the right side of the area.

After seven minutes, the visitors took the lead. A shot from Robbie Kruse was blocked and the follow-up from Tom Rogic was stopped by the hand of Prathum Chutong. Jedinak made no mistake from the spot, shooting decisively past the right-hand of the diving Kawin.

Australia continued to push forward but Thailand levelled after 20 minutes. Chanathip Songkrasin freed Tristan Do on the right side of the area and his low cross was eventually hooked home by Teerasil to send the Rajamangala crowd wild with delight.

Shortly after a powerful shot from Sirod Chatthong was only just beaten away by Mat Ryan in the Socceroos goal.

Thailand continued to push forward in the second half, their passing and quick movement causing problems for Australia.

Ten minutes after the restart, Thailand had a penalty after Mathew Leckie brought down Theerathon Bunmathan in the area. Teerasil stepped up and slotted the ball over the diving Ryan to put Thailand ahead.

Australia tried to hit back immediately and Kawin had to get down to his left quickly to claw out a Jedinak header that was destined for the bottom corner.

In the 64th minute, the two squared off once again as Australia were granted a second penalty. This time the Aston Villa midfielder went low but the outcome was the same.

With 14 minutes remaining, substitute Nathan Burns let fly from outside the area but his left-foot shot clipped the crossbar.

Thailand had a chance to restore their lead after 85 minutes as Chatthong broke free only for his close-range shot to be well-saved by Ryan, meaning that both sides had to settle for a share of the spoils.


- Advertisement -