World champion Peter Sagan pipped Alexander Kristoff in a photo finish to win the 16th stage of the Tour de France on Monday.
Race leader Chris Froome came home in a much-reduced peloton at the end of the 209km stage from Moirans-en-Montagne to Bern in Switzerland to maintain his advantage in the yellow jersey competition.
Slovak Sagan claimed his third victory at the Tour this year and seventh in total in the third photo finish of the 2016 race.
This victory ensured this will go down as Sagan’s best Tour yet, having also held the yellow jersey for three days during the first week.
He won the second and 11th stages before this, but his third stage victory outstrips the two gained in each of 2012 and 2013.
And as he’s well on his way to winning a fifth straight green jersey, the 26-year-old is enjoying his best Tour yet — and the best season of his career.
He was world champion back in September and then won his first prestigious “Monument” one-day classic at April’s Tour of Flanders.
Tour de France overall standings after the 16th stage from Moirans-en-Montagne to Bern on Monday:
1. Chris Froome (GBR/Sky) 72hrs 40:38.
2. Bauke Mollema (NED/TRE) at 1:47.
3. Adam Yates (GBR/ORI) 2:45.
4. Nairo Quintana (COL/MOV) 2:59.
5. Alejandro Valverde (ESP/MOV) 3:17.
6. Romain Bardet (FRA/ALM) 4:04.
7. Richie Porte (AUS/BMC) 4:27.
8. Tejay Van Garderen (USA/BMC) 4:47.
9. Dan Martin (IRL/ETI) 5:03.
10. Fabio Aru (ITA/AST) 5:16.
– Agence France-Presse