It was the crucial game in Group B. Following Australia’s second win of their campaign when they beat Myanmar 3-0 in an earlier match, the pressure was on Thailand and Indonesia  as they look to make the next round of the AFF Vietcombank Under-19 Championship.

The heavy downpour just before the start of the game at the Vietnam Youth Football Training Centre set the tone for the tie as both Thailand and Indonesia went into it full of gusto.

None were willing to give up even a quarter as the slippery conditions made for some physical exchanges. And just 15 minutes in, Indonesia grabbed the lead when they earned a penalty that was converted by Muhammad Dimas Drajad.

A hand ball inside the box from Thai defender Saringkan Promsupa saw Brunei referee Hadimin Shahbuddin pointing to the spot.  

Two minutes later, Muhammad Dimas was again shooting from the penalty spot after Thailand were penalised following a foul from Sorawit Panthong on Indonesia’s Sandi Pratama.

But Thailand were not about to give up.

They showed their quality in the 33rd minute when Sittichok Paso slammed home the cross from Nanthawat Suankaeo for the score to stand at 2-1 at the break.

Just two minutes into the second half and Thailand drew level once again through Sittichok as captain Worachit Kanitsribumphen then put them ahead in the 55th minute with a shot from inside the box.

Indonesia attempted to find the equaliser but the Thai defence just stood firm for their second full points.

“We made some mistakes and I don’t want to point fingers,” said Indonesian head coach Eduard Tjong.

“It is more important that the players learn from this experience.”

In the meantime, Australia recorded their second win of the meet when they beat Myanmar 2-0.

“The boys played well even though the ground was a little hard for the short passes,” said Australian head coach Ufuk Talay after the match at the Hang Day Stadium.

“We improved into the second half although we should have been more clinical with the finishes.”

Dejan Pandurevic opened account for Australia early in the 18th minute before doubling the advantage just ten minutes later. John Scott then rounded off the afternoon with the third goal of the game five minutes to the end.

On the other hand in an evenly contested affair at the Vietnam Youth Football Training Centre, Cambodia brought the game to Laos as the latter struggled to find their rhythm

Cambodia were chasing for every ball before they finally broke the deadlock in the 41st minute with Sath Rosib scoring from a tight angle.

Laos shored up their defence after that and held off Cambodia for long periods before they finally broke down in the last five minutes through Long Phearath (86th minute) and Kunthea Ravan (90th).

“It was not easy to break down the Laos defence,” said Cambodian head coach Ohara Kazunori.

“But the players should be lauded for their effort to win the game today.”



Myanmar 0 Australia 3

Cambodia 3 Laos 0

Indonesia 2 Thailand 3


FIXTURES (15 Sept 2016)

All matches at the Hang Day Stadium

1600: Malaysia vs Singapore

1900: Vietnam vs Philippines

- Advertisement -