More than any other regatta, Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez combines the history of boatbuilding with the latest developments in the field of yacht design. As a partner of the organising Société Nautique de Saint-Tropez, BMW is involved for the second time as Official Partner of the regatta, which gets underway today and will see more than 350 classic and modern yachts take part by 5th October.
BMW and Les Voiles de Saint-Tropez share a very special passion for yachting. BMW is underlining the class of this event with the presence of exclusive BMW Individual cars like the BMW 760Li Sterling inspired by Robbe & Berking. BMW is also underlining its leading approach to the fields of design, innovation and sustainability with the sports car of the future, the plug-in hybrid BMW i8.
BMW Yachtsport Ambassadors Loïck Peyron (France) and Xu Lijia (China) were determined not to miss this highlight on the regatta calendar. Peyron is a multi-hull legend, and proud owner of the Jules Verne Trophy for the fastest circumnavigation of the world in 2012. Xu Lijia won gold in the Laser class at the 2012 Olympic Games and carried her country’s flag at the closing ceremony.
BMW’s sporting and social activities at “Les Voiles”:
- Loïck Peyron and Xu Lijia at the helm of the BMW Sail Racing Yacht, a Swan 45, at the regattas on Wednesday (1st October).
- BMW invites guests to the BMW Yachting Cocktail event in the Pearl Beach Club on 3rd October.
- The “BMW Trophy” is again presented in the Wally class. Last year this was won by Sir Lindsay Owen-Jones with the “Magic Carpet 3”.
- On 2nd October, four Swan 42s will go head to head in the BMW Pro Am Challenge. They will be helmed by the chairman of Nautor’s Swan, Leonardo Ferragamo, who also manages a fashion empire, Markus Wieser and the Chief Instructor at the BMW Sail Racing Academy, Roberto Ferrarese.
- The “Sail & Drive Competition inspired by BMW & Nautor’s Swan” is a special competition for Swan sailors and combines the regatta results with scores for skilful driving at the wheel of the BMW i3 and BMW M4.