# Australia score in the last minute for a 4-4 draw against Great Britain
# Pakistan still win-less after 3-1 defeat to Argentina


Harmanpreet Singh’s two power packed drag flicks from penalty corners saw defending champions India edge Malaysia 2-1 in their fourth match in the 5th edition of the Sultan of Johor Cup Cup Under-21 Invitational International tournament at the Taman Daya Hockey Stadium in Johor Bahru on Thursday.

The win took India to the top of the six-nation tournament with nine points from three wins and one defeat while Great Britain slipped to second place with eight points after Australia scored a last minute goal through a penalty corner for a 4-4 draw.

“I wish to congratulate the Malaysian team who put up a good fight,” said India coach Harendra Singh after the match.

“I must also congratulate all my 18 players for their performance. They have improved greatly and did well against a fired up Malaysia.”

India skipper Harjeet Singh was one happy person of his team’s win over Malaysia and said: “We took the field with confidence after fixing our problems in earlier matches. The coach’s advice was invaluable.”

Harmanpreet fired home two penalty conversions in the 41st and 56th minutes while Shahril Saabah pulled one back for Malaysia in the 68th minute also from a penalty corner.

Malaysia coach A. Arul Selvaraj took the positives in his team’s narrow defeat and said: We are proud of putting up a solid fight against India and we can grow from it.

“We did not create enough penalty corner…which is our main scoring weapon. I must admit that we lacked confidence today (against India). Wearing the national jersey is always pressure but we have shown vast improvement overall.”

On Malaysia’s match against winless Pakistan on Saturday, Arul said: We cannot take Pakistan lightly and getting a win will put us in a better position for the playoffs.

Earlier Great Britain rued their draw against a fighting Australia which ended 4-4 – with Australia’s Andrew Scanlon scoring from a penalty corner after the buzzer had gone. It broke the hearts of the British who took a comfortable 3-1 lead at halftime.

Great Britain scored through Jack Clee (8th), skipper Luke Taylor (27th and 35th) while Australia through Ryan Proctor (31st) before the break. Australia hit back in the second half with two goals by Frazer Gerrard (55th) and Stephen Gale (65th) only to see Jack Walker getting his name into the score-sheet with a field goal in the 67th minute before Andrew responded in the last minute.

Pakistan are still searching for their first win in the tournament after a 3-1 defeat to Argentina in the first match of the day.

Argentina skipper Maico Casella was took hot to handle for Pakistan as he scored twice from penalty corners and one through a field attemp in the 22nd, 27th and 37th minutes respectively.

Pakistan’s consolation goal came from Muhammad Qasim in the 68th minute from a field attempt.


RESULTS (Oct 15)
Malaysia 1 India 2
Argentina 3 Pakistan 1
Great Britain 4 Australia 4

- Advertisement -