World champion Lewis Hamilton said Wednesday he felt “no stress” regarding signing a new Formula Onecontract with the Mercedes team.
The German motorsport giants’ boss Toto Wolff suggested prior to Hamilton’s title triumph last season that the 30-year-old British driver would sign a fresh deal as soon as the season was finished.
However, talks have stalled over the past two months as Hamilton has “completely switched off” fromFormula One.
But Hamilton said he had no concerns even though he is in the final year of his initial three-season agreement with Mercedes.
“As soon as I left the last race I was at the factory for a couple of days, but I haven’t sat down with the team,” said Hamilton.
“But we said last year we’re not in a rush,” he added. “We’re relaxed. The team have acknowledged they want to continue with me and vice versa, so there is no stress.
“I’m comfortable and confident and trust they’re not speaking to anyone else, and they know that’s the case with me.”
Last season saw Hamilton win 11 races as he took his second world title but now he wants to match that achievement, starting with the first grand prix of the new season — the Australian Grand Prix on March 15.
“For myself, naturally, and as an athlete I always want to be the best I can be,” he said. “So anything less than what I did last year is not going to be good enough.
“But I can be better. There are going to be 20 races this year, there were eight races that I didn’t win (in 2014), so you can always get better.
“I plan to drive the way I drove last year, but hopefully with the knowledge and experience of last year and the growth, with turning 30 and everything.
“Whether it’s an inch, a foot, a metre or a mile, I want to try and make sure I’m always moving forward.” – Agence France-Presse