THIS month’s Malaysia Grand Prix will go ahead as planned despite the national crisis surrounding a missing airliner, but will be more subdued this year out of respect, the organiser said today.
“People are not in the mood for an event like this. Everywhere, be it on radio, newspaper, TV or social media, it is all about finding MH370,” said Sepang International Circuit chief executive Razlan Razali.
The race is set for March 30.
Malaysia Airlines flight 370 went missing early in the morning of March 8 with 239 passengers and crew aboard, spawning a massive international search across Southeast Asia and the Indian Ocean that has so far turned up no trace of wreckage from the Boeing 777.
“Whatever it is, Formula One will go on and the concert after that will proceed but we will be sensitive and not go overboard,” Razlan said of the annual race and subsequent concert extravaganza.