LI NA moved to an Asian record world number two and Peng Shuai was the rated the top women’s doubles player in a big boost for Chinese tennis in the new rankings released today.
Li, who won her second Grand Slam title at last month’s Australian Open, underlined her status as the best ever Asian women’s player by rising to second behind Serena Williams.
The Wuhan native, who turns 32 later this month, had already achieved the highest ranking by an Asian woman by reaching world number three last year.
She now moves to second spot with 6,690 points, still some distance behind American great Williams, the 17-time Grand Slam title-winner, on 12,380.
Meanwhile Peng, 28, became the first Chinese player to top the doubles rankings, with her Taiwanese partner Hsieh Su Wei second.
“I think this is really amazing and a great moment for me,” said Peng, after she confirmed the ranking by winning the Qatar Open with Hsieh yesterday.
“This is a really special time.”
In the new singles rankings, Poland’s Agnieszka Radwanska lies third with Belarusian Victoria Azarenka fourth and Russian star Maria Sharapova fifth.
WTA RANKINGS (TOP 10)
1. Serena Williams (USA) 12,380 points
2. Li Na (CHINA) 6,690
3. Agnieszka Radwanska (POLAND) 5,705
4. Victoria Azarenka (BELARUS) 5,681
5. Maria Sharapova (RUSSIA) 5,206
6. Petra Kvitova (CZECH REPUBLIC) 4,710
7. Jelena Jankovic (SERBIA) 4,535
8. Angelique Kerber (GERMANY) 4,490
9. Simona Halep (ROMANIA) 4,435
10. Sara Errani (ITALY) 4,390