Rio qualifiers FENG Yijun and WU Yue continued their impressive forms to take the men’s and women’s singles titles at the ITTF North America Cup, seizing the last opportunity to qualify for the ITTF Men’s & Women’s World Cup.
Champion at the 2015 Pan American Games, WU underlined her status at the 2016 ITTF-North America Cup to claim the women’s singles title.
In the finals, WU overcame compatriot ZHENG Jiaqi 4-1 (11-9, 11-5, 7-11, 13-11, 11-9), revenging her loss to ZHENG at the 2011 United States Open semi-finals.
Earlier at the tournament, WU overpowered top seed and 2013 Champion Lily ZHANG (USA) in the semi-finals while ZHENG overcame two times Champion ZHANG Mo (CAN) in the second semi-finals.
“I am very happy to be able to win the title, as I have been practicing hard the past few weeks. I am looking forward to play at the upcoming Women’s World Cup and also the Rio Olympic Games in August!”
The men’s singles final was also an all American affair featuring debutant FENG Yijun emerging successful over 2014 Champion Kanak JHA 4-1 (11-6, 11-5, 6-11, 11-7, 12-10). Neither players was extended the full seven games distance en route to the finals. In the semi-finals, FENG overcame compatriot Sharon ALGUETI while KHA caused the host nation pain beating Jeremy HAZIN.
“The boys have improved vastly over the last few months, I believe they will put up a good show for the upcoming tournaments’, stated USA’s coach Stephan FETH.
“My forehand attack was crucial for my victory against Kanak, as it opened many opportunities for me during the game”, explained Feng after the match.
Successful at the first attempt for both FENG and WU, a bigger challenge awaits them at the ITTF World Cups to be held later this year.
The Liebherr 2016 Men’s World Cup will be held 1-3 October 2016 in Saarbrucken, Germany and the 2016 ITTF Women’s World Cup on 7-9 October in a location to be announced.
The ITTF World Cups are the second most prestigious events on the international table tennis calendar, with only 20 of the top table tennis players qualifying through their respective Continental Cups together with the current World Champions, one host player and a wildcard.
- World Champions: MA Long (CHN), DING Ning (CHN)
- 2016 ITTF-Europe Top 16 Cup: Dimitrij OVTCHAROV (GER), Joao MONTEIRO (POR), Alexander SHIBAEV (RUS), SHEN Yanfei (ESP), HU Melek (TUR) and LIU Jia (AUT)
- 2016 ITTF-Africa Top 16 Cup: Quadri ARUNA (NGR), Dina MESHREF (EGY)
- Nakheel 2016 ITTF-Asian Cup: XU Xin (CHN), WONG Chun Ting (HKG), GAO Ning (SIN), LIU Shiwen (CHN), FENG Tianwei (SIN), TIE Yana (HKG)
- 2016 ITTF-Latin American Cup: Hugo CALDERANO (BRA), Lady RUANO (COL)
- 2016 ITTF-Oceania Cup: David POWELL (AUS), Zhenhua DEDERKO (AUS)
- 2016 ITTF-North America Cup: FENG Yijun (USA), WU Yue (USA)