The championship sees 10 teams, each with two drivers, racing on temporary city-centre circuits.
Formule E chief Alejandro Agag announced that the “Hong Kong ePrix” would be held a year from now — on October 9, 2016.
“As one of the most innovative, cutting-edge and fun-loving cities in the world, Hong Kong and Formula E share many of the same qualities,” Agag said.
“We look forward to bringing all the fun and entertainment of Formula E to this amazing city.”
Brazilian driver Nelson Piquet Junior is current world champion after winning Formula E’s first season, which began in Beijing last year and concluded in London in June.
The second season will kick off in China later this month with former Formula One world champion Jacques Villeneuve, 44, coming out of retirement to compete.
Other cities confirmed on the second year circuit include Paris, Moscow and Buenos Aires, before the championship ends again in London in July.
The new Hong Kong circuit will run along the harbour front on Hong Kong Island.
Hong Kong’s leader Leung Chun-ying said it was the “realisation of a dream” for the contest to come to the city.
Piquet said he hoped to take part in the event.
“Hong Kong is a great city: busy, modern, exciting,” he said.
“I very much hope I will have the chance to race here a year from today.” – Agence France-Press