Young midfielder Paul Pogba delivered a blow to would-be suitors by signing a contract extension with Juventus until 2019, the Serie A champions said Friday, despite denials from the France international’s representatives.
The 21-year-old former Manchester United youth team player was allegedly being chased by some of the biggest names in Europe, including Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain, and United themselves.
“Before coming to see you we signed a renewal with Pogba until 2019,” said Giuseppe Marotta, the club’s CEO, ahead of the shareholders’ general assembly at the Juventus Stadium in Turin.
However, that version of events was contradicted by one of Pogba’s agents, Oualid Tanazefti.
“The deal is on the right track but it’s not yet been signed,” he told AFP.
“The contract could be signed in the afternoon, or not at all.”
Negotiations have been ongoing for more than a year, with Pogba currently tied down until June 2016.
Pogba joined Juve two years ago after growing tired of waiting for a chance to break into United’s first team.
He had joined the Red Devils as a youth player in 2009 and although he made seven appearances for United, he never started a league game.
He is one of the most highly-regarded young players in world football having been named Best Young Player at the World Cup and player of the tournament at last year’s under-20 World Cup. – Agence France-Presse