Real Madrid youth players who were suspended by FIFA after the club broke rules on the signing of foreign minors have been allowed to return to action following a Court of Arbitration for Sport ruling.
Earlier this month Real, like their city rivals Atletico, had an appeal dismissed by FIFA against a ban on registering new players in the next two transfer windows for irregularities in the signing of foreign players under the age of 18.
The clubs, last season’s Champions League finalists, were also fined 360,000 ($358,000) and 900,000 Swiss Francs respectively.
In addition, youngsters who FIFA said were brought to the club against the rules, including the two youngest sons of French coach Zinedine Zidane, were unable to represent the club.
According to sports daily AS, the ban affected eight players in the Real youth system.
But Madrid have appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), who on Friday granted a stay of the execution of the FIFA ruling, albeit only in reference to the fielding of the young players.
“The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has granted the precautionary measures that Real Madrid C. F. appealed for following the sanction issued by FIFA. Therefore, the minors affected by said sanction may now play for their respective clubs,” the Spanish giants said in a statement.
All of Zidane’s four sons are in the Madrid set-up. The eldest two, 21-year-old Enzo and Luca, 18, were born in France, while Theo (14) and Elyaz (10) were born in Spain.
The CAS ruling means the latter two can start playing again, according to AS.
The other aspects of the ban remain in place. A final CAS ruling on the FIFA-imposed ban is expected in the coming days. – Agence France-Presse