Universiti Kuala Lumpur crushed Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM) 11-0 to register their seventh consecutive win and consolidated their position at the top of the 2019 Malaysian Hockey Premier League Division at the Tengku Abdullah Stadium in Bangi today.

The 2018 overall champions, who edged UiTM 2-1 in the first round of the league match, amassed 22 points from eight matches to stay on top.

In another match, TNB Thunderbolts shocked defending Premier League champions Terengganu Hockey Team (THT) 2-1 at the Tun Razak Hockey Stadium to register their first victory in the league.

“I am very disappointed with our performance in the first half. The players took it easy and allowed UiTM too much of space. After a pep talk in the dressing room at half time they woke up to score as many goals as possible,” said UniKL coach Arul Selvaraj.

“We have a very important and tough match against TNB (Tenaga Nasional Berhad) on Sunday and we need to lift our game beginning with the first quarter itself. We cannot take it easy anymore,” he added.

The first half got off to a pulsating pace that saw UiTM dominating much of the first two quarters and in the process earned three penalty corners against UniKL’s two. It ended with both teams failing to produce any goal.

For UniKL, the lacklustre performance in the first half sounded the alarm bells and rebounded in the second half fully charged to take a 6-0 lead within a space of 10 minutes, mesmerising their opponents with quick counter-attacks.

Forward Izwan Firdaus Ahmad Tajuddin opened the flood gates with a 31st minute field goal – his third in the league, Muhammad Razie Abdul Rahim scored a brace (32nd and 41st minutes) from a penalty corner conversion and field goal whilst Robbert Kemperman (34th), Mohamed Hafiz Zainol (37th) and Rafizul Ezry Mustafa (39th) added to UiTM’s misery.

The Dutch connection of Valentin Verga and Martijn Havenga together with UniKL captain Muhamad Marhan Mohd Jalil extended the lead to 9-0. Verga scored via a field goal (47th), Havenga converted a penalty corner two minutes later and Marhan extended the scoreline to 9-0 from a penalty corner.

Kemperman returned in the 52nd minute to score his second goal and UniKL’s tenth of the day and Verga slammed the final nail to make it 11-0 via field goal, leaving UiTM heart broken and mesmerised.

UniKL’s journey towards the league title could very well be sealed on Sunday if they beat Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) at the Tun Razak Hockey Stadium.

- Advertisement -