After half a season of solo victories, 17-year-old CP130 championship leader Kasma Daniel Kasmayuddin finally unleashed his true capabilities to perform under pressure. In Bandar Baru Kijal, Kemaman, Terengganu for Round 6 of the 2016 PETRONAS AAM Malaysian Cub Prix Championship, the young PETRONAS Yamaha Maju Motor rider nursed a malfunctioning bike to his fifth win of the season while simultaneously fending off repeated attacks from Terengganu-born Ahmad Afif Amran.
The battle royale between the two riders began as the 18-lap CP130 Final was flagged off. Afif quickly latched on to Kasma, negating any opportunity for the young rider to extend his lead. Behind the two leaders, Ahmad Fazli Sham lost control and was flung off his bike. This left Kasma without the usual buffer between his bike and the rest of the field. The two riders swapped positions in the closing stages of the race until Kasma crossed the finish line with a time of 16’05.980s, 0.275 seconds ahead of second placed Afif. Kasma’s team mate Abdul Muhaimin Roslan secured the third position with 16’15.282s after an equally strenuous battle against Mohd Azhar Abd Jalil.
“This has been the toughest race of the year so far. My gears kept slipping while Afif was continuously breathing down my neck. Under those circumstances, I had to focus hard on keeping my racing line and momentum,” said Kasma who now leads the CP130 class with 125 points. Ahmad Fazli Sham stays in second overall with 98 points while Ahmad Fazrul Sham climbed up to third overall with 57 points.
Otherwise in the CP115 category, team PETRONAS Yamaha Maju Motor rider Mohd Akid Aziz enjoyed a runaway performance to win the 15-lap finals with a time of 13:43.049s. Starting the race from the second row, Akid successfully challenged senior riders Tengku Amirul Haffiruddin, Amirul Ariff Musa and Azroy Hakeem Anuar for the lead on the first lap. Championship leader Tengku Amirul put up a fierce fight but was no match for the speedy Maju rider who secured the race lead on Lap 2.
The turning point in the CP115 Final was on Lap 8 when Azroy took out Tengku Amirul at the U-Turn while they were fighting for second position against Amirul Ariff Musa. The two-rider collision allowed Amirul Ariff Musa to slip away while mechanical damage forced Tengku Amirul out of the race. The incident also brought Mohd Aznil Mohd Ali of M Seki Liberty Honda into the leading group. The CP115 Final ended with Mohd Akid Aziz bagging his first win of the season with 13:43.049s. Amirul Ariff Musa finished second with 13’49.210s Mohd Aznil Mohd Ali took third place after forcing Azroey Hakiem into a mistake in the final lap.
Meanwhile in the Wira class, fledgling team IUGB AFB Tech Racing has turned the tables on their larger manufacturer-supported rivals. Rookie rider Mohd Helmi Azman completed a lights-to-flag race in blazing form, consistently half a second faster than the rest of the grid. When the chequered flag came down on Lap 12, Helmi had created a 3.635s gap at the sharp end of the group. Helmi’s win was recorded with a time of 11’02.966s.
Round 7 of the 2016 PETRONAS AAM Malaysian Cub Prix Championship will take place in Johor on September 3 and 4, 2016.
Results and Standings:
1. Kasma Daniel Kasmayudin (JHR) Yamaha 16’05.980s
2. Ahmad Afif Amran (TRG) Yamaha 16’06.255s
3. Abd Muhaimin Roslan (SGR) Yamaha 16’15.282s
4. Md Azhar Abd Jalil (SGR) Yamaha 16’16.581s
5. Md Khairul Ikhwan Ajis (SGR) Yamaha 16’18.357s
1. Kasma Daniel Kasmayudin (JHR) Yamaha 125pts
2. Ahmad Fazli Sham (PRK) Yamaha 98pts
3. Ahmad Fazrul Sham (PRK) Yamaha 57pts
4. Md Azhar Abd Jalil (SGR) Yamaha 55pts
5. Md Hafiz Nor Azman (PRK) Honda 54pts
1. Md Akid Aziz (KUL) Yamaha 13’43.049s
2. Md Amirul Ariff Musa (JHR) Honda 13’49.210s
3. Md Anil Md Ali (TRG) Honda 13’50.810s
4. Md Hafiza Rofa (TRG) Yamaha 13’51.268s
5. Ahmad Syukran Aizat (TRG) Yamaha 13’56.194s
1. Tg Amirul Haffirudin (TRG) Yamaha 90pts
2. Md Akid Aziz ( KUL) Yamaha 86pts
3. Md Haziq Md Fairues (SGR) Yamaha 67pts
4. Ahmad Syukran Aizat (TRG) Yamaha 61pts
5. Md Harith Farhan Baharin (TRG) Honda 60pts
1. Md Helmi Azman (SGR) Yamaha 11’02.966s
2. Md Shafiq Ezzariq (SGR) Honda 11’06.601s
3. Md Qhuwarismi Md Nasir (PNG) Yamaha 11’06.802s
4. Md Amirul Ariff Ramlee (JHR) Yamaha 11’06.982s
5. Md Idil Fitri Mahadi (SGR) Yamaha 11’17.162s
1. Md Shafiq Ezzariq (SGR) Honda 133pts
2. Md Helmi Azman (SGR) Yamaha 103pts
3. Md Amirul Arif Ramlee (JHR) Yamaha 65pts
4. Md Qhuwarismi Md Nasir (PNG) Yamaha 63pts
5. Md Afizi Supaat (SGR) Yamaha 55pts