Newly elected UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin on Wednesday reiterated his belief that it may be possible to block planned changes to the format of the Champions League.
The European governing body announced last month that England, Spain, Italy and Germany will each be guaranteed four berths for their clubs in the tournament between 2018 and 2021.
The move was criticised by smaller European nations and although it has been ratified by UEFA’s executive committee, Ceferin suggested the changes may not be set in stone.
When it was put to him that it will be impossible to change the format of the Champions League before 2021, he replied: “I don’t necessarily agree with you, so let’s see.
“Of course it’s not good for the small and mid-size associations. But as I told you, it was my first day yesterday. I have to check what were pluses and minuses about that decision.
“There were certainly pluses and minuses and I will look on it and act. Everything can change.”
Ceferin was speaking at an event to launch Euro 2020 at London’s City Hall.
To mark the competition’s 60th anniversary, the 2020 tournament will take place across 13 host cities, with the semi-finals and final being staged in London.
Ceferin has previously described the plan as a “risk” and while he is hopeful it will prove successful, he said UEFA remained wary.
“We don’t know what to expect from the revenue point of view, but let’s see,” he told reporters.
“It will be an interesting event, it will be a great anniversary and I’m looking forward.”
Ceferin, a 48-year-old Slovenian lawyer, beat Royal Dutch Football Association chief Michael van Praag by 42 votes to 13 in last week’s UEFA presidential election.
He succeeded Michel Platini as head of European football’s governing body after the former France captain was banned over a suspect $2 million payment.
Reports this week suggested Platini is in talks with UEFA over a compensation settlement, while German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung suggested he is still being paid by the organisation.
“Look, I heard about the situation yesterday,” Ceferin said when asked about the reports.
“I have a meeting with (UEFA) administration about it on Monday, but I can assure you we will not do anything illegal or non-ethical.”
Asked about his own salary, he said he did not yet know how much he would be paid.
“That’s the most interesting question!” he said. “I don’t know yet. Probably next week.” – Agence France-Presse