The International Football Federation (FIFA) has fined the FA of Malaysia (FAM) 40,000 Swiss francs (about RM180,000) and ordered Malaysia’s national squad to play a home match without spectators over the serious crowd disturbances in the 2018 World Cup Qualifying match between Malaysia and Saudi Arabia.
According to a statement published by FIFA in it’s official website, www.fifa.com, the Disciplinary Committee of FIFA had also declared the match against Saudi Arabia to be lost by forfeit 0-3, besides issuing a warning to FAM.
“FAM was found to be liable for the supporters’ behaviour and, in particular, for breaching Article 6, paragraph 5 of the Regulations of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia, Article 56, Article 65, 67 paragraph 1 and Article 67 paragraph 3 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code as well as Article 4 paragraph 2, Article 29 paragraph 1 lit. (b) and Article 2 of Annexe C of the FIFA Stadium and Safety Regulations.
“Disciplinary proceedings had been opened after several incidents, including smoke bombs and flares, occurred inside the Shah Alam Stadium, which led to the abandonment of the match in the 88th minute,” it said.
The world’s football ruling body said the decision was made after an analysis of all the circumstances of the matter, in particular, the match officials’ reports, FAM’s position as well as the relevant videos and pictures, and due to the seriousness of the incidents.
The match on Sept 8 also served as a 2019 Asian Cup Qualifying match.
Following the decision, Malaysia’s next home match against the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Nov 17 will have to be played in an empty stadium.
“FAM was notified of the terms of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee’s decision today,” it added. – BERNAMA