SEPANG – Mohd Fairuz Nasir lifted the 2014 edition of SIC Ninja 250 Cup with a stunning victory in the final race on Sunday at the Sepang International Circuit (SIC).
Mohd Fairuz collected a total of 185 points over five rounds of the championship, a clear victory over Mohd Aziq Jumali who collected 123 points in second place. Suhaizarul Suhaizat settled for third spot on 118 points.
It was a sweet victory for Mohd Fairuz, as the championship will cease to continue next year.
“I knew I have a chance at the title but the competition was so stiff that I have to give my maximum in every race,” said Mohd Fairuz, who stood on the podium eight times in the championship, three of which were on the top spot.
“My gracious thanks to BikeART for their support and also my family. I hope this win will be a start to more big things in my life in motor racing.”
It has been a good three years since the SIC Ninja 250 Cup was introduced in 2012. During the period, the championship has produced several riders that eventually made it into the CEV Spanish Championsips like Mohd Hafiza Rofa and the late Husni Aizat Abdul Malik.
The 20-year-old Husni had his career curtailed when he died in a motorcycle accident while on his way from Pasir Gudang to his hometown in Kota Tinggi, Johor in May this year.
SIC Chief Executive Officer, Dato’ Razlan Razali said the three-year period of the championship was a successful period.
But the emergence of Shell Advance Asia Talent Cup (SAATC) this year which is run by Dorna, the organisers of the MotoGP World Championship and the FIM Superbike World Championship meant the SIC could avoid overlapping responsibilities of developing talent.
“When we first launch the SIC Ninja 250 Cup, there were not enough avenues for young, aspiring riders to showcase their talent on the tracks.
“The SAATC is a much more competitive series as they run on the current Moto3 bikes and it involves quality talents across Asia,” said Razlan.
He said SIC would invest more in the MGP3 series in the Malaysian Super Series (MSS) in the future to help lift the standard of local racing.
“We are looking to strike a deal with Dorna with hope to allow the winner of the MGP3 next year to be able to participate in the SAATC. I hope it will be an incentive for more riders to participate in the MGP3 next year,” said Razlan of the MGP3 series, which had 14 riders on the grid this year.
Mohd Helmi Azman was crowned champion of the series on 164 points, while Fakhrusy Syakirin Rostam in second on 145 points. Late entrant into the series, Khairul Idham Pawi secured the third spot on 145 points.
SIC Ninja 250 Cup
1. Mohd Aziq Jumali 22:06.577
2. Mohd Fairuz Nasir 22:06.624,
3. Ahmad Idham Khairuddin 22:07.156.
1. Ahmad Idham Khairuddin 22:06.608
2. Mohd Fairuz Nasir 22:06.802
3. Noor Edrin Ezurin Noor Asmara 22:09.129.
1. Tengku Syahmi Tuan Yusoff 13:57.952
2. Saiful Izman A. Zamani 13:58.096
3. Mohd Aziq Jumali 13:59.445.
1. Mohd Fairuz Nasir 19:21.941
2. Mohd Aziq Jumali 19:22.223
3. Mohd Zulhilmi Yazid 19:22.374
1. Mohd Fairuz Nasir 185 pts
2. Mohd Aziq Jumali 123
3. Suhaizarul Suhaizat 118.
1. Khairul Idham Pawi (Honda) 18:52.927
2. Kaito Sekino (Honda) 19:01.942
3. Fakhrusy Syakirin Rostam (Honda) 19:25.395.
1. Fakhrusy Syakirin Rostam (Honda) 19:03.458
2. Khairul Idham Pawi (Honda) 19:03.674
3. Kaito Sekino (Honda) 19:07.484.
1. Khairul Idham Pawi (Honda) 18:44.983
2. Fakhrusy Syakirin Rostam (Honda) 18.51.2153
3. Kaito Sekino (Honda) 18:51.788.
1. Khairul Idham Pawi (Honda) 18:43.938
2. Kaito Sekino (Honda) 18:51.146
3. Fakhrusy Syakirin Rostam (Honda) 18:51.359.
1. Khairul Idham Pawi (Honda) 18:43.424
2. Kaito Sekino (Honda) 18:57.234
3. Fakhrusy Syakirin Rostam (Honda) 18:59.611.
1. Khairul Idham Pawi (Honda) 21:19.876
2. Kaito Sekino (Honda) 21:42.654
3. Mohd Ibrahim Norrodin (Honda) 21:47.647.
1. Mohd Helmi Azman (Honda) 164 pts
2. Fakhrusy Syakirin Rostam (Honda) 145
3. Khairul Idham Pawi (Honda) 145.